A Travellerspoint blog

Yeppoon to Calliope Rest Area

sunny 28 °C

Thursday 31st

We had an appointment with the folk at Full Moti to have a small shade-cloth sail track installed above the fridge to protect against excessive sun and heat that would reduce the fridge’s performance (shade-cloth courtesy of Kevin and Elaine who had a new one with their new van). It took some time to drive, part way back towards Rocky, but eventually we located the site and pulled in. The installation didn’t take too long and Moti observed, as he prepared to drill some holes into the sidewall of the van, that he hoped he would not hit any 240V lines! I told him that was why I had got him to do the job and not me!

The security sign at the entrance advised that the premises were guarded by a guard dog armed with a revolver! This was not a good sign however, the guard dog on duty immediately approached me as I got out of the ute and after a brief sniff preceded to give my hand a long lick. I felt safe now.

Driving on through southern parts of Rockhampton we soon found ourselves on the Bruce Development Road and headed south. I suddenly realised that Rockhampton is famous for its long-standing promotion of Professional Bull Riding (seen on TV) and that the main roads into and out of the city were not in a poor condition after all. They were simply a compulsory training exercise enabling all visitors to sign on for the bull riding competitions!

About lunchtime we arrived at the Calliope Rest Area (C6 #105) and found a nice level spot above the Calliope River this time. Although quite breezy there we had a really pleasant view of the river at the bottom of the cliff on which we were now perched and the bush on our side of the encampment. There were not as many rigs here as recalled from our previous visit over a year ago but at least it was sunny and pleasant.
We enjoyed a pleasant stroll down the old main highway road and bridge crossing (now blocked to all vehicles) and through the bush on the lower side of the river. Since our last visit there had been a serious flood event and a lot of damage had been done to the lower river bank and most of the previous camping area had been closed for repair.

Walking up the incline on the road we suddenly spotted a snake about to cross the road. Mary hightailed it up the road telling me to leave it alone. As the snake was a non-venous diamond python I just watched it carefully hissing at me while I took photos from a non-threatening distance (for both snake and me!) and I suggested to the snake that it might like to turn around and get back up the small incline and get lost in the deep bush as there was a council truck and a couple of yobbo cars about to drive up the narrow road towards us. Very obediently it quietly turned around and hissed off into the undergrowth. A moment later the large truck thundered by followed by a yob car. So, the day ended happily for all!
There had been a few folk fishing from the very low (and seriously damaged old bridge) and apparently there was the possibility of a decent catch here dependent on incoming tides. However we didn’t bother this time.

A quiet afternoon chatting with new neighbours and a good TV reception (better than we often can get in town!) for the evening and all for free. What more could one ask for?

Posted by psstevo 20:47 Archived in Australia Comments (0)

(Entries 10 - 10 of 252) « Page .. 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 .. »